Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Stacked

I always assumed that someday I’d have one of those apartments with an entire wall of shelving filled with cool and interesting books- old Agatha Christie novels, short story compilations, art anthologies, travelogues etc. Or a giant, antique coffee table with over-sized photography books artfully stacked. Guests would have to place their drinks strategically so as not to disturb my stunning flow. Clearly, I'd be an awesome host. Aesthetics before etiquette.

Currently, I don’t have either of those things. Lack of space is temporarily prohibiting it. Instead, I have piles of new fiction paperbacks and New York Times bestsellers haphazardly strewn about the floor and on my windowsill. I do, however, have what I think is a rather neat little display of fashion photography and New York guide books stacked on an vintage suitcase my mom and I found and rescued from the street.






Somehow I ended up with a slightly pink theme with my books- and I'm not even the one in the family with a pink fetish!



The Selby Is in Your Place is a super book based on the website The Selby.com by Todd Selby, a photographer who visits ultra-cool people like Parisian chefs and Australian woodcarvers in their homes and workplaces. Then he photographs them, obviously.



Usually I have flowers in the Missoni San Pellegrino bottle but the the bodega that carries peonies is eight blocks away, and there are so only many things you can accomplish a day.



On my not quite giant coffee table is a Modern Vintage Style book that was gifted to me by my Mama, a pair of wrought iron eyeglasses and a little book that reveals what your name says about your future (both came courtesy of Pottery Barn).


One of my favorite books was purchased back when I was interning in London. It came from the 2008 exhibit, The House of Viktor & Rolf at The Barbican. Probably the coolest museum fashion exhibition ever. Maybe even cooler than the McQueen exhibit at the Met. The design house, which is known for it’s avant garde collections and crazy runway shows (models with digital holograms on their clothes, wearing a ceramic hat down the catwalk, etc.), re-created looks from past collections on two-foot tall porcealin dolls, right down to the hair and makeup styling. This book is souvenir that included an overview of all the collections featured in the exhibit, and how it came together.








So that is my grand book collection so far. I'm going to stop by Taschen's this weekend so maybe I'll find something to add...






21 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to decorate with books and I can see that you have a lot of interesting ones.

Hugs
Elna

KP said...

It must be in the genes....collecting! Great use of space for your ever expanding collection.

Olive said...

Your books are wonderful in the window.

A room with a view said...

I love books and books in decor are a great accessory. I myself love the thought of a space with classics,leather-bound or not, Agatha Christies, like you said, as I grew up with those, and other books from a different time. You have an interesting and certainly eclectic collection. It is great that you have them displayed.

ANNE said...

Agatha Christie :) I have every mystery she ever wrote - she was a GENIUS!!

Lovely post. TFS.

xox

Kate @ Daffodils said...

I love all your stacks!

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Andrea,
Love the stacked look!!
And the glasses from PB...your collection is wonderful. It must be a comfort to you to have them out where you can see & enjoy all of them.
All the Best,
Christine

Monica @ Happily Playing with Dishes said...

I like the way you display your books. You can think of the pink theme as an ode to your mom.

Honey at 2805 said...

Luv decorating with books! Your collection and display are fab! Thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday!

ANNE said...

I've passed the Versatile Blogger Award on to you. Check it out! http://designdreamsbyanne.blogspot.com/2012/01/versatile-blogger-award-liebster-blog.html

Jeanne Henriques said...

Andrea, I think what you have shown here is far cooler than what you described earlier, only because it is you. I love my collection of books, scattered here and there. The bigger the stack, the more I love each and every one. It's all me!

I have Taschen 'London' and 'Paris'. I just love all their books..you can never go wrong with any of them.

Best wishes for a happy weekend. I hope you find the perfect book. ;)
Jeanne xx

Betsy said...

I've also dreamed of having a wall of bookshelves, but I actually think the way you have your books displayed is a lot more creative and really eye-catching! You've got a great collection going.

Katherines Corner said...

I have a wall of books ( built in shelves) on my vision board. I am fortunate to have two barrister bookcases filled with books. I enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog. Happy Pink Saturday! Hugs. P.S. I hope you will stop by and say hello and enter my Pink Poodle giveaway :-)

1CardCreator said...

Thanks for sharing your Pink. Happy Pink Saturday. ~Diane

Chubskulit Rose said...

Gorgeous selection! Happy Pink Saturday. I am now your follower.

My PINK is here. Please come and see.

Lorraine said...

Oh, I hear you, I'm a book lover as well. We inherited a huge collection of books, and trust me, there is such a thing as too much! Your collection is charming, love the pink theme. But...OK, I have to call you on the Mary Kate/Ashley Olsen book, LOL! Happy Pink Saturday!! ~Lorraine

Ivy and Elephants said...

I love books so trying to work them into my decor is a must. Thanks for giving us such great suggestions and linking with us. We love partying with you, see you next week!
Hugs,
Patti

Leah H. said...

Wow,so many books:)

Visiting for Pink Saturday! Here's my share- hope you can stop by:)

http://www.loveablecassandra.com/2012/01/pink-elephant.html

Sarah said...

Books stacked and displayed as you have them seems so cozy to me. They are right there, ready to be opened at any time. It gives the sense that they are used on a regular basis, rather than lined up on a high shelf getting dusty.

very merry vintage style said...

So artfully arranged--your books are lovely and that suitcase is quite the find! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday. Hope you'll be back this week--
Mary

L o v e l y t h i n g s said...

So many of your books I either have or are on my wishlist. I have pink peonies in my Missoni Pellegrino bottle right now...and I posted about them too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...